My guess is it was pretty bad right?
The sad part is that too many of us have bad stories about work. In this episode is author Chris Reimer addresses this very issues in his first book Happywork.
Here are the highlights of my conversation with Chris:
- Handling working with challenging people and how powerful negativity can also be.
- Chris’ background from graduating with a degree in Accounting, being unhappy with his chosen line of work at that time until he cooked up the idea for Rizzo tees and using social media to promote this t-shirt business until finally finding something which resonated to him and led him to pursue a career change to inspire more people.
- Why leaders should pay attention to the little things, such as caring for your employees, as it can produce incalculable ROIs in the process,
- The three sections of the Happywork agreement: Respect for the work process, Respect for each other, and Respect for business goal #1: Happiness,
- How he leverages on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram in getting his message out and his assessment of how each platform is doing currently,
We really get into a great conversation about social media at [53:10] minutes in so make sure to check out that part of the interview.
Awesome Tweetable Quotes:
- We have all those tactics with regard to making our businesses better available to us at all times. What don’t we always have? Happiness, fulfillment and joy. This is a human tragedy.
- They feel like the business needs to survive no matter what. I would contend that as every single human being working in a business is more important than the business.
- Let’s care about great work and let’s create a workplace where it’s easy to care.
- We’re all in this together no matter wherever strata where are in at work.
To echo Chris’ points, we must learn to hit the balance between managing the business and our people as profit is not the end all and the be all of being an entrepreneur. Success is not solely spelled with dollar signs, it is measured with the lives you touch.
Haven’t ordered the book yet? Don’t worry I’ve got you covered
Buy it loca at Left Bank Books: http://www.left-bank.com/book/9780768405316
To Connect with Chis Online:
When you think about adding value and being a great employee or an awesome boss have you considered improving your skills? Learning is the best way to keep yourself sharp and offer the best of yourself in everything you do.
I think Lynda.com is just what you’ve been looking for. When you’re looking to add value to what you bring to the table try starting with a free 10-day trial and skill up today. Just go out to lynda.com/ross to start your trial today.
If you’ve never heard of Lynda it’s used by millions of people around the world and has over 3,000 courses on topics like web development, photography, visual design etc. It also has business courses and even coursed like Excel, WordPress, and Photoshop. So check them out then let me know how you love it.